The only Catholic Church that stayed open in Russia throughout the Soviet period is now using the New Roman Missal published by the CTS.
St Louis des Francais Catholic Church was founded as a church for foreigners. Catherine the Great granted permission in 1786 for the construction of a church to serve French subjects living in Moscow. The church was consecrated in 1835.
The priests are members of the Assumptionists’ order. There are masses in various languages each Sunday including an English-language service at 9.30am celebrated by the Parish Priest Fr Adrien Masson and/or Fr Paul Chemparathy of the local Jesuit college (both pictured).
English-language services are attended by people from all over the world and many walks of life, including ambassadors, students, foreigners working in Moscow and tourists. As well as native English speakers from countries including the UK, Ireland, Australia, and the US, the congregation includes many who don’t have the opportunity to attend masses in Moscow celebrated in their native tongue.
Thanks to Maureen O’Donoghue for the text of this post.
Of related interest:
|CTS New Sunday Missal – White Presentation Edition – The CTS New Sunday and Daily Missals are a brand-new edition being published to coincide with the launch of the new English translation of the Mass (2011). This one is white leather, with gold page edges, in box an ideal present.|
|CTS New Sunday Missal – Presentation Edition – New translation of the Mass with the current 3-year cycle of readings, for Sundays (and solemnities) Leather-covered hardback in a box.|
|CTS New Daily Missal – The new translation of the Mass together with the current 3-year cycle of readings, for Sundays and all weekdays of the year.|